Using Language Services as a Risk Reduction Strategy
featuring a case study from Banner Health
- Event Date:
- Event Time: 01:00 PM Eastern
- Event Type: Virtual Signature Learning Series
In the 1980s, a single misinterpreted word led a hospital into a $71 million malpractice settlement. Because improper communication can lead to significant unnecessary expense and patient endangerment, it is imperative that hospitals implement an efficient and effective language plan for patients and staff.
Banner Health established a Language Access Plan with language services to help mitigate potential risk factors. Implementation of these services helped it improve patient-provider interaction, increase quality of care and meet the new Joint Commission standards.
You Will Learn:
- What the new Joint Commission standards say about language services
- Why the risks of improper patient communication are so severe
- How Banner Health uses interpretation and translation services to mitigate risk
Banner Health presents its successes, setbacks, knowledge and best practices for managing risk through the implementation of a language services strategy. Learn new ways to improve operations and ensure compliance by promoting proper communication throughout your organization.
- Liz Swan, RN Risk Management Consultant, Banner Health
- Marisa Hernandez, Interpreter Educator for Corporate Risk Management, Banner Health