Working With You at the 2013 HCCA 17th Annual Compliance Institute
From risk managers to CIOs, CFOs, and CNOs, health care compliance affects nearly every part of an organization. The 2013 HCCA Compliance Institute tackles the challenges of Reform, hospital-physician alignment, HIPAA/HITECH and Meaningful Use in four days of engaging events and informational sessions. We're excited to be part of this year's show to do our part to foster operational excellence.
- Monday, April 22, 7:30 a.m. Pre-show Compliance Focus Group: Copyright Clearance Center
Copyright Clearance Center, the rights licensing experts, is hosting a focus group to learn more about the unique needs of health care providers using published content. Join us for breakfast and share your thoughts on compliance, copyright and content workflows at hospitals. Participants will receive a $25 American Express gift card (or charitable donation on their behalf) as a thank you for participating. Space is limited, so please fill out the online registration form to qualify. If you are selected, you will be contacted with additional details.
- Monday, April 22, 11 a.m. – 12 noon: Session 109 Navigating the OIG’s Self-Disclosure Protocol
Kenneth Coronel, Chief Legal Officer, Verisys Corporation; Susan Gillin, Deputy Branch Chief, Administrative and Civil Remedies Branch, Office of Inspector General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; Laura Laemmle-Weidenfeld, Partner, Patton Boggs
- Deciding whether to self-report: the good, the bad, and the ugly
- The importance of the pre-report internal investigation 7
- How to comply with the protocol’s procedural requirements and present a “best light” report
- Monday, April 22, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.: Session 404 Mobile Threats and How Healthcare Can Reduce Risks
Rick Kam, President & Co-Founder, ID Experts; Ted Kobus, Shareholder, BakerHostetler
- Mobile device use in health care is skyrocketing; posing risks to patient info
- Wireless medical devices are connected to IT networks making them remotely accessible
- Tips: how to minimize risks and reduce privacy incidents
- Monday, April 22, 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.: Session 406 Private Contractor Actions: RACs, ZPICs, etc.
Thomas Beimers, Special Counsel, Faegre Baker Daniels; Ralph Wuebker, Chief Medical Officer, Executive Health Resources
- Examples of ZPIC actions and influence on enforcement decisions
- Defining the legal basis for ZPIC investigations and actions
- Appeals of private contractor determinations and the procedural and substantive basis for appeal
- Wednesday, April 24, 10 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.: Session POSTAM11 Best Practices for Denials Management
Ralph Wuebker, Chief Medical Officer, Executive Health Resources
- Current trends in commercial payor denials and appeals by region, payor, and case mix
- Consistent medical necessity compliance processes across all patient populations and payor types
- Documentation for claim status determination